Tuesday, July 26, 2011

On the way to Rising Star

In April when I set up this blog I was so excited and then... A few days before I left I thought "what am I doing? I cant leave I have to many responsibilities here".  Well I got on the plane anyway.

I met up with a wonderful young lady named Amy (we planned are flight together but had never met). I just have to say her and her family are amazing. She currently has a brother and a sister on a mission and her dad just left for Africa for volunteer medical thing. What an inspiration her and her family are.

During the plane ride I still had my moments of what am I doing leaving my family. When we arrived in Brussels we found a girl named Ally that was waiting for her plane and she had just left Rising Star. She helped easy my worry of if I was doing the right thing by coming. She was so sad to be leaving Rising Star she told us how amazing it was and how bad she wanted to stay. I know in such a busy airport it wasn't by accident that we found her.

We made it to India.The airport was not what I expected. It looked more like a run down interrogation place than an airport. After exiting the airport we found our driver in the long line of drivers holding a sign with our name. Amy and I got split up and put into two different cars which I was worried about a little. During the drive I thought for sure I was going to die. Between the driving and my driver stopping in the road  for 5 minutes and locking me in the car I was scared to say the least. I first thought my husband was right... I then said a little prayer and right then Amy's driver was in front of us pulled over and she got in with me. There was a mix up and she was supposed to be in the same car as me. Once we got to the hotel there were dogs that smelled around the car and security that check the car before they would open the gates.

The hotel was beautiful. I got to take my last hot real shower for three weeks. I then called my family on Skype. I was so excited to see and talk to them (Thank goodness for technology). After sleeping for only three hours we woke up and couldn't  go back to sleep. We got up got ready and went down to breakfast.  The breakfast they served was more like a dinner buffet it was amazing.

We decided we wanted to go look around so we went for a walk. We only went like a block and found that we were a lot more comfortable at the hotel. There was garbage everywhere. The houses surrounding the hotel looked like they shouldve been abandoned. Through all this the people seemed very nice and friendly but I couldnt help but wonder what I had gotten myself into. 

We met up with all the volunteers from Rising Star and waited to start our travel to Rising Star.

No comments:

Post a Comment