Friday, July 29, 2011

Reality

Reality is the state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or might be imagined. This fits perfectly for me today and I will explain why during this entry.

Everyday here so far has been like a dream. I have enjoyed being her and words a lot of the time cant express what I am seeing or feeling. Today when I woke up I just felt a little down.  I was still a little bothered by my negative interaction with Stephen the night before. I  also couldn't stop thinking of a conversation I had with one of the other volunteers. We were talking about all of the people who had helped us get here and how a lot of them didn't have a lot of money themselves but helped anyway. We shouldve stopped there and just been thankful because we are truly thankful and I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for all the help I received.  The conversation didn't end though, it then turned to some of the people who didn't help us. This has been a touchy subject for me for awhile. I felt hurt by some of what I thought were my closest friends and some of my spouses family that I felt like would've or could've helped but didn't. Bringing back these feelings was a bad idea. I tried to put these feelings behind me and continue with my day.

I was in the medical group today and we set up the "medical care center" in the church. We have different station.
Station one: check in and get blood pressure
Station two: take off the old bandages
Station three: feet washing
Station four: oil feet
Station five: cutting dead skin and redressing the wounds





The living conditions of this colony were more heartbreaking than any of the colonies I have seen .. We arrived and this colony looked nothing like the others I had been to. Half of the houses where made out of branches and old poster/billboards or sheets.
                                       
                 This is not laundry hanging these are a few houses that are right next to each other.

                                     This home was made at of an old plastic billboard sign
                             Plastic, cloth, old metal door this house had a combination of things
                                                     Blankets  and branches
                                      This was the nicest home in the colony and it had a TV



 There where only 4 people that needed bandages which was great and the sores didn't look as bad as they did at the other colony. The last guy that we had come through had dead skin/ulcers that needed cut out. This was heart wrenching because this was very painful he was gripping his leg and had tears rolling down his face. I wanted to shout stop you're hurting him. I wanted to tell him I was sorry and ask what I could do to make it better.  I couldn't so I just had to sit there and touch his leg and hand to try to show I cared and I was sorry. I was frustrated that the nurse wasn't talking to him or doing something for the pain.

 This is the man I am referring to. After I re bandaged his foot I asked for a picture. He leaned his head against mine it was so sweet.

On the drive back I was still thinking about the negative things and then I added the sadness of feeling like I hadn't done enough to help this man. When we got to the Hostile I went to my room and started blogging and reflecting on my day so far. I came across a few quotes that helped put things into perspective.

Spread love everywhere you go: let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your smile, kindness in your eyes. -Mother Theresa

Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.
Muhammad Ali
To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity.
Douglas Adams

If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one.
Mother Teresa
With all of the miracles and amazing people I am surrounded by and for all the people that helped to get me here how can I be down? I am so blessed to be here. I am so lucky to have a great family. Yea so I didn't get the support I thought, who cares.  They are the ones missing out on this journey.  I have a wonderful husband who is a shining example of service.  I don't know where he learned it but he is an inspiration to me and my children. My family has been so willing to support me in every way possible. I have friends that provided more for me to get here then they should have. I am in India learning more about selflessness and love from these people that have so little but are willing to share everything they do have with you.


I am truly blessed and so thankful to be here.  I am learning so much about India/Me/Family/God. Reality is what you make.

Tonight at Family time we made more wallets the kids had a blast.



                                             Here are some of the boys getting ready for bed!
           Tonight ended great it started raining and Amy, Kim and I went and played in it!



There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.                                    Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment