Friday, October 17, 2014

Two perfect little ones meant for someone else.

In January of 2011 we had the opportunity to have two beautiful little girls come stay with us. I had a friend who's girlfriend had battled depression and he had to take on the role of being mother, father and provider of these two girls age 3 months and 18 months. Without going into all the details the mother had mentioned adoption and this young man started to consider it. After a lengthy emotional conversation I asked him to reconsider keeping the girls because he had worked so hard to try and keep their family together. I told him if he needed help I could take the girls for awhile. 

I received a phone call a short time later and the girls came and stayed with us. We all feel in love with them right away. They were perfect, adorable and oh so sweet. After sometime the decision was made and these two little girls were going to be placed for adoption. I was asked if I would adopt them. Of course I would if that's what they wanted but  I had a request first. I asked them if they would meet the couple that we had done surrogacy for and see if they felt it was a good fit. 

They question now was do we call our friends and give them another possible false hope for completing their family? I was chicken so Brandon made the call. The couple told us they were still looking at other agency's but they wanted to know more about our friends. They created a profile and we passed it along and then they decided to meet for dinner.We all went to dinner together and heard the mom explain why she was considering giving up her babies. This will always be an unforgettable event for me. To get to witness both sides of this process was a unique and touching experience.

The decision  was in and they picked our friends to adopt their girls. What a bitter sweet day. On one hand I was watching a great guy make one of the hardest decisions of his life. On a the other a friends dreams were coming true. 

Who new that right in the middles of all that sadness and happiness we were witnessing we would also feel a void and loss that we didn't plan for. Our friends came to pick up the girl a little earlier than we had planned. We finished packing up their belongings and saying goodbye. We watched them leave and then we all broke down in tears. We (Brandon & I ) knew the girls weren't meant for us but telling our hearts that was another thing. Watching Tabitha during this was so hard. She wanted the girls to stay with us so badly

Just because you know something is the right thing doesn't mean its going to be easy or pain free.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment