Monday, August 8, 2011

Delhi Day 1

I woke up at 2 a.m. to get ready to leave for Delhi. We left Rising Star around 3 a.m. and arrived at the airport around 5:00 a.m. and had two hours before our plane left. A few of us decided we were hungry and went to find food. Derek and I decided to share a chicken sandwich... Long story short we survived we didn't get sick but I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

After our plane ride we got on a tour bus and road around Delhi. We stopped and got on rickshaws and road them around old Delhi into the spice market. Just when I thought driving in a car was dangerous a rickshaw added into that traffic was interesting. It was raining so I left my camera on the bus. Leaving my camera proved to be a bad decision. There was beauty all around that I wanted to capture it on camera, luckily others in our group brought theirs. The spice market had so many different smells and colors. I bought some spices, now I just need to learn how to cook with them. 

                    Old Delhi is a photographers dream so many unique and beautiful places to take pictures.

We stopped off at a temple that was in the middle of an ally filled with shops. I am always surprised at where things are located, they seem so random and out of place sometimes. The doorway and inside of the temple was beautiful. I guess that's why we have the saying don't judge a book by its cover.


We went back to the tour bus and headed to lunch. We went to a marvelous  restaurant that served Indian food. I was so happy to taste the spices of India and not just have it be hot . Again on the outside this restaurant looked like it belonged in India but on the inside it felt like you were in the USA other than the staff was a lot kinder.
                                                                       The restaurant we ate at

Outside the restaurant there was a snake charmer. I still hate snakes but after this trip they hopefully wont freak me out as bad...

                                          This snake is a Cobra but it didn't move around very much

 We then drove six hours to Agra. We stayed in a magnificent hotel. We all couldn't wait to take a real shower and use a toilet that wasn't a squatter.

No comments:

Post a Comment