Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tender Mercies/Steven

Today I was supposed to go to construction but it didn't turn out that way. Kim was sick and wasn't able to go out so our group split and some went to medical and some went to education. I really wanted to go to medical but Derek asked for volunteers for education nobody was volunteering so I found myself raising my hand.

Right before I left for education I found out a family that I am really close to was moving away and I was so upset. I felt bad for being upset because of all I had seen the people of India having to give up and worrying about my friends moving away seemed kinda silly. Even with these mixed emotions my
friendship and love for this family took over and I was upset. I walked over to education feeling sick and sad.

When the first group of kids came in I tried to put a smile on and get to work. At break time I was still feeling ill but I went out to play. I saw the boys from my house and they ran up and told me they missed me and asked how Delhi was. I broke down into tears because I had missed them so much. Steven came up to me but wouldn't talk to me. I just put my arms around him told him I loved him and it was okay if he didn't want to talk to me. I was still crying I guess because some of the older girls that I don't know very well asked Auntie why are you crying. At this point I wasn't exactly sure so I said I didn't
know. They asked again no why are you crying I said it was because I was sad to leave.

 I was over joyed with tears walking back into education. I felt so lucky that I got to be there and helping those kids. If I wasn't there then one less kid every class hour would not get the help they needed. How lucky and blessed was I to be there. We didn't get to tutor math because they were testing. Someone donated enough money for all the kids to get new shoes so we went and measured all the kids feet
instead..


                                      


When it was Stevens classes turn he put a sticky note on my shirt that said "I am sorry I wouldn't talk to you". Then he put another saying "I love you". God has shown me so much while I have been here and this single act was one of the best so far.

The kids are getting ready for independence day so before playtime we watched them do there march.

 
The day just continued to get better. At play time Steven invited me to play tennis with him. We played in the rain which was fun and beautiful. It started to rain hard so we went in and played connect four. Then I went out and played soccer.

At family time Steven had asked me to come to his family time. Because of some misbehavior Steven was no longer in Kalas family. I was torn knowing I only had a few more days with my family. I wasn't sure if I should leave them and go with Steven or stay and read my boys stories. I arrived at our room and decided I was going to read my boys a story first and then I would go see Steven. When I sat on the
floor Steven immediately came in and said your late, Late for what I replied you are the guest of honor everyone is waiting... I was confused. I asked Carl to read our boys a story while I went with Steven. When I arrived in the room his mother said you must be Ashley... I said yes
and she smiled. Steven had gathered 10 or so of the boys in his room and had prepared a talent show. There where boys that told stories in Tamil and sang songs of Jesus in Tamil, stories in English, songs in English , dancing. Then Steven sang three songs he wrote. He was so happy and I was so happy watching him. He then pulled out a little piano that you had to blow into to get it to play. He tried to teach me it was very cute.

I went back down to tell my boys goodnight but the little ones where all asleep wait to go Carl. I think only one time before had we gotten them all to sleep before it was time for us to leave. Kala and Danny invited Carl and I in her room and we talked and ate a mango. I talked to Danny
and Kala about our trip and about Danny leaving for his mission. I so wish I could be here when he leaves next week so Kala could have someone
there for her.

As we were leaving Steven came and stuck a few more notes on my shirt telling me to have sweet dreams.
My heart breaks that this is another day coming to an end... But what a wonderful day it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment